Monday, April 27, 2009

Childlike Faith

I used to think that "childlike faith" meant unquestioning, unfailing devotion to Christ. But I don't think that way anymore. I think that should be called "robot-like faith." And God did not create robots.

I'm sure parents sometimes would love little robots that cleaned their rooms when asked and didn't jump on the bed or talk with their mouths full. But along with the disobedience would go the character, personality, and most importantly, the love.

I feel like people say that God didn't create robots all the time, but that we are expected to behave like them. That could be just me though.

Children question everything. I feel like they always ask "Why why why?" about everything there is to know. They are always learning. If they don't understand something, they ask. Sometimes they ask embarrassing questions and say odd things. When you tell them not to touch the stove or climb the shelves, they interpret that as exactly the opposite.

But do parents love them anyway? Yes! Do they provide for them anyway? Yes!

And despite the household rules we must follow and the punishments that follow, do we still love our parents? Yes!

This is how I feel a relationship with Christ should look like. Us just exploring life and learning everything we can about it, sometimes getting hurt and often breaking rules in the process. Christ using whatever means necessary to steer us in the right direction. With a relationship of love in both directions. Being able to go to Him with our problems and questions, no matter how "strange" or "blasphemous" the questions seem. I think He wants us to bring those to Him especially so he can give us the correct answer, instead of the world's (often) incorrect answer.

This is my ideal. It may be extreme, because I tend to live in the opposite world of self-repression, but its what I wish I was more like.

No comments:

Post a Comment